UPDATED 1/17 to include Democrats
Reporting period: 7/1/05 - 12/31/05
Total raised 2nd half of 2005:
Rick Perry: $4.6 million
Carole Strayhorn: $2.4 million
Kinky Friedman: $0.97 million to $1.26 million
Bob Gammage: $67k ($0.07 million)
Chris Bell: $356k ($0.36 million)
Cash on hand:
Rick Perry: $11.5 million
Carole Strayhorn: $8.1 million
Kinky Friedman: $0.25 million
Bob Gammage: $53k ($0.05 million)
Chris Bell: $165k ($0.17 million)
Approximate amount spent in 2nd half of 2005:*
Rick Perry: $1.85 million
CaroleStrayhorn: $1.4 million
Kinky Friedman: $0.75 million to $1 million
Bob Gammage: $14k ($0.01 million)
Chris Bell: $201k ($0.2 million)
* I calculated this myself, based on previous fundraising numbers.
Chris Bell and Bob Gammage have not provided numbers yet.
Kelley Shannon has the AP coverage.
1. Perry spent the most, but he also has the most to spend. Also, Perry's campaign often picks up the tab when he travels, so that's not too surprising.
2. The difference between Perry and Strayhorn might be partly explained by the money Perry spent attempting to pressure the legislature on school finance. Both Perry and Strayhorn spent reasonable amounts.
3. Kinky Friedman is still burning through money. His burn rate last time was bad (last reporting period he raised
$300k and spent $285k), and it doesn't look any better this time. There's two main reasons this is bad for Friedman: 1) big donors are less likely to give if they see you have a high burn rate, 2) Friedman needs money in the future. Not only does he need to spend to get on the ballot, but he'll need money for a media campaign.
4. Kinky's burn rate may not be as bad at it initially looks (and initially, it looks very bad). Some of their money raising tactics (campaign store, Kinky Friedman dolls) were undoubtedly expensive. If they've spent lots of money on dolls that they are able to sell, then the report might be misleading. We won't know this until they file their official campaign finance report, and we get to look through it sometime mid-next week. I'll have a post when I get a chance to look through the reports.
5. Strayhorn was a Perry primary challenger during this reporting period. She did not declare her independent candidacy until AFTER the period was over.
UPDATED 1/17, 4:30pm with numbers from Democrats
No flames or impolite behavior. HTML will be stripped. URLs will be transformed into hyperlinks.
Comments must be approved before being published.